Voting in the general election this year might look a little different. Here are the key facts to help you prepare to VOTE!
If you are planning to vote in person in the general election, voting will be held as usual in the Peterborough Community Center on Elm Street from 7am to 7pm on election day.
The General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020.
To register to vote in Peterborough BEFORE the election, go to the Town Clerk’s office. There you will fill out a NH Voter Registration form and will be asked to show proof of identity, age, citizenship and domicile. This proof may be shown in paper or electronic form. If you do not have proof with you when registering, these qualifications may be established by signing affidavit(s).
For more information on absentee (through the mail) registering to vote during COVID-19 click here.
In Peterborough the last chance to register for the General Election is at the Supervisors of the Checklist Meeting. Please bring photo ID, proof of residency and citizenship paperwork. The Supervisors of the Checklist will be meeting Wednesday October 21st, 2020 from 5:30PM to 6:30 PM at the Town House for the purpose of new registrations, corrections and updates to the checklist.
If you miss this meeting, you may register to vote at the polling place on Election Day.
In the state of NH, you may register to vote on the day of the election. You must register either Republican or Democrat and you will receive the corresponding ballot to vote with. If you have previously voted in NH, you do not need to register again unless you have moved within the state since the previous election.
Due to COVID-19 anyone who is a registered voter may choose to vote via absentee ballot.
The form has also been updated to include COVID-19 as a reason for voting absentee so be sure to use that option if it applies to you.
How to vote absentee:
1. Fill out an absentee ballot application.
Applications may be downloaded here or paper copies are available outside the Temporary Library in the Monadnock Community Plaza at 1 Jaffrey Road, Unit 2 (Next to the Pearl restaurant) M-F 10am-6pm. For more information on filling out your absentee ballot application click here.
2. Submit your application to the town of Peterborough via the mail (1 Grove Street, Peterborough, NH 03458) or you may hand it in to the Town Clerk in person or scan and email it to email@example.com.
3. Your absentee ballot will be mailed to you.
4. Once you receive your ballot be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them closely – if you do not fill it out properly your ballot may not be counted For more information on filling out your absentee ballot, click here.
5. Submit your complete ballot via the mail or hand deliver to the Town Clerk. Mailed ballots must be received by 5pm THE DAY OF THE ELECTION. Hand delivered General Election ballots must be dropped off by 5pm on Monday, November 2nd.
Here a short video from WMUR with the NH Deputy Secretary of State, David Scanlan:
Email the Peterborough Town Library: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call the Peterborough Town Library M-F 10am-6pm: (603) 924-8040
Email the Peterborough Town Clerk, Lynda Guoyotte: email@example.com
Call the Peterborough Town Clerk: M-F 8:30am-4pm (603) 784-5605
Here are some helpful links:
The NH Secretary of State has a whole page of resources available for 2020 voters
The NH Secretary of State mailed out a postcard with information for all voters – view it here!
Here are some FAQs on Voter Registration
Look up your party registration
Check the status of your Absentee Ballot
PTL has also compiled some additional relevant information regarding the election this year:
Page updated: 9/9/2020