One Hundred and Twenty-Three years ago, on October 4th, 1893, the Peterborough Town Library building was dedicated. Private citizens worked together to open a dedicated building to house the growing library collection, which had been housed for sixty years in the post office, drugstore, and various other locations in town. To celebrate the library history and the building anniversary, the Town Library invites the public to the opening of a special exhibit, A Grand Idea: The First Tax-Supported Public Library in the Nation, on October 4th, 2016 from 6-8pm.
The exhibit features primary documents and photographs, including the first blue prints of the historical building, the library constitution in the hand of Rev. Abiel Abbot, and a selection of the original books from the 1833 library. Light refreshments will be served. The exhibit will be on view through the end of 2016. The exhibit was created with the assistance of intern Marika Labash, a library science student and Peterborough resident.